[Drosophila] Re: Distinguish genders in pupae (Marco Antunes)

Indrayani Ghangrekar via dros%40net.bio.net (by littlenitnoy from yahoo.co.uk)
Tue Jun 1 13:35:40 EST 2010

Hi Marco,

You can distinguish genders in pupae by checking for the sex combs - they can be seen through the pupal case from roughly 3 days after pupariation (I think, I've never aged them). Sometimes they can be tricky to see if the vials were quite sticky and there is a lot of food stuck around the pupae. It's easiest to get the pupae out with a brush dipped in a bit of water and keep the water handy because if you are sorting through a lot of pupae, whatever type of glue the pupae use to stick to the vials sticks them to the stage and they ping away in unpredictable directions!

Indi