[Drosophila] Protein source question

Gajewski,Kathleen M via dros%40net.bio.net (by kmgajews from mdanderson.org)
Fri May 28 15:12:06 EST 2010

Hello fellow flypushers,
    I have a question about supplemental protein sources for adult flies.  We have been sprinkling our food with live yeast granules.  The flies like it very much, but it causes stickiness issues, especially if the vials have not been totally dried (which can happen if our foodmaker gets a lot of orders).  Has anyone had any success with killed yeast or other supplemental protein sources?

Thanks for any advice.

Kathleen Gajewski

In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.-Stephen Jay Gould