[Drosophila] Re: anesthetic of Drosophila

Chris Jones via dros%40net.bio.net (by kuritaro from earthlink.net)
Sat Aug 6 17:43:11 EST 2011

In article <mailman.1081.1305287302.20886.dros from net.bio.net>,
 Maria Paula Zappia <mpzappia from iibintech.com.ar> wrote:

> To whom it may concern
> I am willing to set up a Drosophila Laboratory for my students in order to
> teach genetics. We do not have CO2 to use as anesthesic for the fruitflies,
> but I found that Fuyama (1977) proposed the use of triethylamine as an
> anesthetic with prolonged effects. As we do have triethylamine in the lab I
> would like to know which dose of triethylamine is commonly used and how to
> use it.
> I look forward to hearing from you
> Best regards

I tried triethylamine once, and most students ended up with dead and/or
sterile flies. I now use chilling for anesthesia, as described by the Wu
lab at Harvard; unfortunately the webpage in question has gone 404.

Briefly, pack short (ca. 10-cm-tall) plastic jars with screwcap lids
with ice, add water, and screw on the lids; it's crucial to have no air
space between the water and the lid, so do this over a sink. The ice
floats, chilling the lid surface, and the flies (chilled separately in
an empty food vial on ice) can be dumped onto it and examined.

Chris Jones