[Drosophila] Re: I need some basic information

Chris Jones via dros%40net.bio.net (by kuritaro from earthlink.net)
Sat Aug 6 17:49:54 EST 2011

In article <mailman.135.1309125968.14889.dros from net.bio.net>,
 mohamad haddadi <hadadimohamad from yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi every one
> what is the stock number and characteristics of this line: Canton-S w1118
> (iso CJ1) and
> what is the exact procedure of outcrossing of a mutant line with wild type
> strain to equilibrating the genetic background of line and avoid second site
> mutation effect.
> regards
>
> M. Haddadi
> Genetics Research Scholar
> Department of studies in Zoology
> University of Mysore, Mysore-570 006
> India

As for isoCJ1, I made that line 25 years ago in Tim Tully's lab at Cold
Spring Harbor. It's simply an isogenic line of white[1118] which had
been repeatedly outcrossed to Canton-S.

I don't have it, and don't know if it's available (but it wouldn't be
difficult to make an equivalent isogenic line yourself).

To outcross a mutant, simply cross your mutant and wild-type flies
together. Select progeny (or grand-progeny if you're dealing with a
recessive mutation) that show the mutant phenotype.

Note that this won't prevent selection for second-site suppressors,
though -- that's the reason for isogenizing all the chromosomes.

Chris Jones