[Drosophila] Bioinformatics for gene expression analysis

Heather Vincent via dros%40net.bio.net (by Heather.Vincent from manchester.ac.uk)
Thu Feb 17 02:32:56 EST 2011

New developments in the high-throughput methods for gene expression data
bring new challenges in data analysis and management.  Error models for
microarray data have been well studied, but more work is still needed on
appropriate methods for short-read sequence data.

Moving beyond the pre-processing steps, biological understanding
requires the integration of expression data with other types of data,
such as GO categories and KEGG pathways.

The University of Manchester's distance course in expression data
analysis
(http://octette.cs.man.ac.uk/bioinformatics/modules/BIOL61010.html),
which begins again in March, provides practical experience in both the
pre-processing and data integration stages in the analysis. Participants
will study microarray data in depth, and will also be introduced to the
most recent methods for transcriptome analysis.

For those interested in learning about data integration in more depth,
the microarray course is designed to link to our sister course in
network analysis, Bioinformatics for Systems Biology
(http://octette.cs.man.ac.uk/bioinformatics/modules/BIOL61820.html).
Bioinformatics for Systems Biology will run again in October 2011.

There are links to further information on all of our courses here :
http://octette.cs.man.ac.uk/bioinformatics/modules/index.html  If you
have any questions, or would like to book a place on a course, please
contact our office for Advanced Professional Education (ape from cs.man.ac.uk).