[Drosophila] Why did you choose to study science? International Survey

Colin Hanbury via dros%40net.bio.net (by colinhanbury from yahoo.com.au)
Sat Jan 15 07:13:28 EST 2011

Hi all

I am conducting an international on-line survey as part of research at  the
University of Western Australia on why people chose to study in  science and
science-related areas. The survey takes < 15 minutes, see text below for link.

One  of the purposes of the survey is to make comparisons across countries  and
cultures on the reasons that people choose to study science -  consequently I am
seeking the most diverse group of science-qualified  respondents and would like
for all regions to contribute their  perspective. I would also be very happy if
people  circulated my request on their respective institutional email systems.

Regards
Colin Hanbury

Dr Colin Hanbury
Graduate School of Education
University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Hwy
Crawley 6009
Australia

colin.hanbury from uwa.edu.au

***************************************
Why did you choose to study science?

Dr  Colin Hanbury at the University of Western Australia is conducting an
international on-line survey as part of research on why people chose to  study
in science and science-related areas.
The survey is for anyone  who completed tertiary science (and applied science)
studies after  leaving school – the greater the diversity of the respondents the
better  will be the results. You don't have to be currently working in
science-related areas. If you want your country and discipline to be
represented then please participate, and please send your friends and
colleagues in science-related areas the survey link:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/409857/Science

All  responses are anonymous and the individual responses will remain
confidential. Following statistical analysis the overall results will be
published during 2011. The report will be available as a PDF at
http://www.communicatingscience.org/

If you would like to know more, then please contact Dr Colin Hanbury at
colin.hanbury from uwa.edu.au (Phone +61 8 6488 2508), or Assoc. Prof. Nancy
Longnecker at nancy.longnecker from uwa.edu.au (Phone +61 8 6488 3926).

Important points for you to consider
•     Most developed countries are witnessing falls in school students  opting
for science subjects and for university science-based courses;  however, the
trend is opposite in developing countries.
•    It is  important for our combined social and economic future for people to
be  scientifically literate and for there to be sufficient well-qualified
people to take up science-based occupations.
•    This survey will  help us understand the issues related to students’
selecting of science  at school, and will enable comparisons across different
cultures and  countries.

Please answer the survey – it should take no longer than 15 minutes.