[Drosophila] Balancer (and researcher) Breakdown

sandra schulze via dros%40net.bio.net (by heterochromatic from gmail.com)
Fri Mar 11 17:58:26 EST 2011

People of Flyland....

Could somebody out there pls tell me everything they know/have
experienced/have any insight about balancer breakdown? Apart from what
is in flypushing?

I know this:
some balancers do not balance well for specific regions (which
balancers? which regions?)
You can mitigate this annoyance by finding a stronger (more scrambled) balancer
But if you throw in additional balancers (like for instance if you
have to build stocks for rescue and such) the breakdown can be
enhanced.

So I am enjoying this urban myth for the first time in my fly-pushing
life and it feels like I am doing mouse genetics. But when I try to
find references to show that this exists, all I can cite is the
relevant section in manuals like fly pushing.

I guess I am hoping that someone out there knows of a specific
reported case I can cite, or at least commiserate.

Cheery-Bye.

Sandra