[Drosophila] Drosophila Culture Media

Vef, Dr. Olaf via dros%40net.bio.net (by ovef from uni-mainz.de)
Tue Nov 1 13:24:01 EST 2011

Dear Fly Breeders,
We lately chanced our fly food recipe from a fly food containing crushed corn to a fly food containing cornmeal (the grit size is powder like, finely grounded or very small particles). The result was a generation time of our Drosophila cultures which lasts more than three weeks. Is there any knowledge about the ability of Drosophila larvae to digest incorporated cornmeal (grit size described above) and not only the soluble ingredients of cornmeal? Does anybody else observed such a phenomenon? I am looking forward to any comment or suggestion.

Best regards,
Olaf

Dr. Olaf Vef
Institute for Genetics