[Drosophila] Apterous vs. Vestigial Wing

Martinez, Pedro via dros%40net.bio.net (by p.martinez from ucl.ac.uk)
Mon Mar 26 05:04:28 EST 2012

Hi there

I used to work with apterous mutants long time ago. Apterous is a pleiotropic gene that affect not only wing  but many other developmental traits, for instance they are defective in Juvenile hormone. Apterous null mutants die within 2 days after hatching from the pupa and are very sick flies. I also used vestigial once as a control and they were much tougher.

Hope this help.
From: dros-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [dros-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] on behalf of Mark Thorson [nospam from sonic.net]
Sent: 23 March 2012 20:25
To: bionet-drosophila from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: [Drosophila] Apterous vs. Vestigial Wing

I'm growing some cultures of apterous mutants,
and they don't seem to be as vigorous cultures
as the vestigial wing cultures I grew about 8
years ago.  It could be that my memory is faulty
or the changes I made to the protocol or any of
a number of other factors, but I'm wondering if
it could be that the apterous strain just doesn't
grow as vigorously as vestigial wing.  I've never
grown apterous before.  Any comments on the
relative vigor of these strains?