[Drosophila] purple mutant

Mark Thorson via dros%40net.bio.net (by nospam from sonic.net)
Mon Nov 5 19:12:10 EST 2012

Does anyone know of a good reference describing the
disturbance in pterin synthesis in the purple mutant?
I didn't find much from Google.  The only detailed
information I've found says it produces two forms
of the 6-pyruvoyl-tetrahydrobiopterin synthase mRNA
with different promoters but the same reading frame.
I'd like to know what the consequences of this are
in terms of what pterins are over- and under-produced.
Is 6-pyruvoyl-tetrahydrobiopterin the purple pigment?
How are the downstream pterins affected?  I'm curious
whether anyone has crossed this with sepia mutant
and what happens when you do.