[Drosophila] purple mutant

Schulze, Karen Lynn via dros%40net.bio.net (by kschulze from bcm.edu)
Tue Nov 6 07:38:36 EST 2012

FlyBase is a compendium of everything we know about everything that is ever done or ever will be done in the fly, as it is continuously updated with new data. If you need to know it, it is summarized here or linked here, at least that is the goal and this website  is a good start.

http://flybase.org/reports/FBgn0003141.html - this is the entry for purple

Click "Open All" in the upper right to see everything.

Karen Schulze
Bellen Lab Manager
HHMI - Baylor College of Medicine
Jan and Dan Duncan Neurological Research Institute
1250 Moursund St. Ste. 1125
Mailstop NR-1125
Houston, TX 77030
tel 832 824 8757
fax 832 825 1240
email kschulze from bcm.edu
web flypush.imgen.bcm.tmc.edu
From: dros-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [dros-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Mark Thorson [nospam from sonic.net]
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2012 6:12 PM
To: bionet-drosophila from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: [Drosophila] purple mutant

Does anyone know of a good reference describing the
disturbance in pterin synthesis in the purple mutant?
I didn't find much from Google.  The only detailed
information I've found says it produces two forms
of the 6-pyruvoyl-tetrahydrobiopterin synthase mRNA
with different promoters but the same reading frame.
I'd like to know what the consequences of this are
in terms of what pterins are over- and under-produced.
Is 6-pyruvoyl-tetrahydrobiopterin the purple pigment?
How are the downstream pterins affected?  I'm curious
whether anyone has crossed this with sepia mutant
and what happens when you do.