[Drosophila] overseeding

Laurence Mueller via dros%40net.bio.net (by ldmuelle from uci.edu)
Thu Nov 15 15:24:45 EST 2012

Mark,
It is actually impossible to diagnose your particular problem with the
information you have supplied. Female fecundity, and the resulting larval
viability will be a function of (i) the age of the females, (ii) the size of
the females (which depends on the larval density they were raised at), (iii)
the nutritional status of the females (e.g. were they well fed prior to
laying eggs, where well fed means given excess live yeast), (iv) were they
kept in a vials or bottles for several days prior to egg laying (the
presence of many larvae in the female's environment will cause them to
reduce egg laying and once they are given fresh food there will typically be
an explosion of egg laying), (v) the volume and quality of the food provided
for the larvae, (vi) the number of females laying eggs, and (vii) how long
you let the females lay eggs (if you have lots of eggs in a culture there is
no point to leaving adults in longer than one day since any eggs laid on
days 2, 3 etc will be buried and killed by the feeding larvae that hatch
from the first days egg laying).

Finally it matters what your ultimate goal is. Do you want the largest
number of flies possible, even if they are small, or do you want many, very
large and therefore fecund flies. What's a worse outcome for you, occasional
cultures that have very few flies but others that have many flies or having
many cultures all with a moderate number of flies?

It should be relatively easy to control the output of your cultures by
standardizing the conditions I mentioned above, and then varying them
systematically to find a set of conditions that works best for your goals.

Laurence Mueller
Professor and Chair
University of California, Irvine 92697
Phone: (949) 824-4744