[Drosophila] Re: initial population and inserts

Laurence Mueller via dros%40net.bio.net (by ldmuelle from uci.edu)
Tue Sep 11 12:22:16 EST 2012

The rover and sitter polymorphism is a larval behavior that is naturally
polymorphic in D. melanogaster populations.  Larval crowding increases the
frequency of the rover phenotype. Marla Sokolowski has done most to the
research on this behavioral trait and her publications should be read to
understand this trait. Larval and adult crowding also has many non-trivial
effects on the evolution of a host of life-history traits in Drosophila too
numerous to summarize here. However, if you consult my web site below you
will find ~20 years' worth of research on this topic including some review
articles.
Larry Mueller

Laurence Mueller
Professor and Chair