results of LVDT inquiries

Fri Dec 29 21:19:18 EST 1995

Summary of LVDT Info from email and other inquiries:

1. Lucas Schaevitz
N. America:
Lucas Control Systems Products
Schaevitz Sensors
1000 Lucas Way
Hampton, Va. 23666
Fax: 800-745-8004

Lucas Control Systems Products
Schaevitz Sensors
543 Ipswich Road
Slough, Berks SL1 4EG
0753-537 622
Fax: 0753-823 563

Types: AC and DC

2. Solartron Metrology (markets or manufactures Schlumberger Industries
Steyning Way, Southern Cross Industrial Estate
Bognor Regis, West Sussex
PO22 9ST
+44 0 1243 825011
Fax: +44 0 1243 861244

Also Locations in France, Germany and USA

U.S.A.: Tel 716 634 4452    Fax: 716 634 1225
France : 33 1 69 53 63 63   Fax: 33 1 60 13 37 06
Germany: 0208/31026         Fax: 0208/31441

Types: AC and DC

3. SensoTec, U.S.A.
Address Unknown
Phone: 1-800-848-6564
Fax  001-614-486-0506
Types: AC and DC

4. Macro Sensors (Division of H.A. Schaevitz Technologies !?!)
600 Main St.
Riverton, N.J. 08077-1419

001 609 662 8000
Fax: 001 609 786 1939

Types: AC or DC

5. Omega
Leicester, U.K.
Phone 0455 285520
Fax 0455 283 912

0438 365671
Fax: 0438 356 203

6. Hottinger Baldwin Messtechnik GMBH
100 151, D-64201 Darmstadt
Im Tiefen See 45, D-64293 Darmstadt
Tel: 06151 803-0
Fax: 06151 894896

Types: AC

7. Micro-epsilon Messtechnik, Germany
+49 8542 168 0
Fax: +49 8542 16890

Types: AC only

Other Info:
There are alot of manufacturers around, but if you are looking for
a 12 V DC system there aren't too many options, and they're all about
the same price (approx $300/unit). In the end we ordered from Solartron.

A 10 Channel LVDT growth recording system is available from:
Mosaic Systems
P.O.Box 914,
Palmerston North
P.O.Box 8238
Auckland, N.Z.

Phone: 06 355 4196, 09 377 7963
Fax: 06 355 4197,   09 307 6763

I found out about two strain-guage systems that do the same thing
for a fraction of the price. One is described below in the digest
from Dynamax. A second is a ready to use dendrometer produced by
an Israeli strain guage company, but is not ready for marketing.

Several people answered that they use Hewlett Packard LVDT's. From
my inquiries it seems that HP stopped manufacturing LVDT's and passed
along the manufacturing to Lucas Schaevitz.

Compiled and Edited by:
Shabtai Cohen, Ph.D.
EMAIL: vwshep at
FAX: 972-3-9604017
PHONE: 972-3-9683698

Dept. of Environmental Physics and Irrigation
Institute of Soils and Water
A.R.O. Volcani Center
P.O.B. 6
Bet Dagan 50250