research positions

MARILYN BALL MBALL at rsbs-central.anu.edu.au
Fri Oct 13 08:01:24 EST 1995

The Ecosystem Dynamics Group (Research School of Biological Sciences,
Australian National University) seeks to better understand the way
our ecosystems respond to environmental variation in time and space.
We bring together research into fundamental theory of community
dynamics, exploration of physiological and ecological mechanisms, and
prediction of community responses to different environmental
scenarios. We have two positions for candidates with a PhD and
appropriate experience in the following areas:

1) Ecophysiological bases of plant responses to climate change. We
seek applicants with appropriate field experience in ecophysiology
and an interest in contributing to a larger research study on
understanding forest regeneration under natural and altered
microclimates. The successful applicant will be expected to develop a
research program involving the use of an established system of
open-topped chambers for study of plant responses to elevated
atmospheric concentrations of CO2 under field conditions. Topics of
interest concerning effects of elevated CO2 include interactions
between grass and tree seedlings, photoinhibition in relation to
growth and competition, and carbon balance of seedlings in relation
to environmental stresses. Contact: Dr Marilyn Ball, phone +61 06 249
5057, FAX +61 6 249 5095, email: mball at rsbs-central.anu.edu.au

2. Global change. Our interests include models that link
ecophysiology to plant-plant interactions in small patches,
functional classifications of plant communities, the dynamics of
plant resources and landscape or regional models of vegetation
dynamics. Researches with an interest in either model development or
experimental studies that might directly support these efforts are
encouraged to apply. Contact: Dr Ian Noble, phone +61 06 249 4020,
FAX +61 6 249 5095, email: noble at rsbs-central.anu.edu.au

Two positions are available. Appointment is initially for two/three
years (Level A, Postdoctoral Fellow / Level B, Research Fellow).

Further particulars, which include the selection criteria, are
available from the School Secretary, RSBS. phone +61 06 249 4138.

Closing date: 10 November 1995