LED source

Mike Clearwater MIKEC at srv0.bio.ed.ac.uk
Tue Nov 12 10:22:17 EST 1996

As far as I know the Quantum devices QBEAM light sources are still
available, they are made especially for the 1/4 litre chambers of the
LI COR 6200 photosynthesis system, with an adaptor that allow it to
be used with the 1 litre chambers as well.  I have found it an
excellent cool light source, especially useful for the closed 6200
system and in hot climate where overheating of the leaf and chamber
is a problem. These LED light sources
can produce high intensities because the LED chips are mounted
directly on a ceramic board  (good heat sink), rather than inside the usual
plastic housing.  If you push a normal high intensity LED too far it is
liable to pop?

However, if you only need 100 micro mol m-2 s-1at a distance of 2 - 3
cm (e.g. through the lid of a licor chamber), you should be able to
make your own array from relatively cheap high intensity LEDs.

Mike Clearwater
Institute of Ecology and Resource Management
University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh EH9 3JU

Ph +44-131-650-5423
Fax +44-131-662-0478