ESF workshop on Arabidopsis

olivieri at isem.univ-montp2.fr olivieri at isem.isem.univ-montp2.fr
Tue Feb 18 15:38:23 EST 1997

Sorry if you receive this announcement several times through other mailing
lists...

European Science Foundation
Scientific Programme on Plant Adaptation

The ESF announces a workshop on

"ARAPIDOPSIS AND RELATED SPECIES IN THE WILD : FIELD x LAB INTERFACES"

that will be held in MONTPELLIER (or suburbs) (France) on MAY 15-18, 1997.
European Science Foundation  Scientific Programme on Plant Adaptation

Arabidopsis is the major model system of plant genetics, and we know a lot
about its behaviour in the lab. On the contrary, we know almost nothing
about Arabidopsis in the wild, and how the genes we study so intensively
help the plant to survive in real nature. The goal of the workshop is to
PROMOTE EXCHANGES among scientists working in the areas of MOLECULAR and
DEVELOPMENTAL biology, POPULATION GENETICS, ECOPHYSIOLOGY and ECOLOGY, all
using Arabidopsis or related species/genera as a model system. Two main
topics could be discussed:

1/ Arabidopsis and related species in the wild
- - General ecology : range size distribution, biotic interactions, population
sizes, local extinction rates...
- - What do we know about basic population parameters (population structure,
mating systems, seed/pollen dispersal distances, mutation rates) ?
- - Genes of known functions (e.g., flowering time, recombination): molecular
genetics, population genetics (polymorphism), ecophysiological aspects,
ecotypic differentiation.
- - Is Arabidopsis a successful species outside the labs ?

2/ Experimental studies of adaptation using Arabidopsis
- - Response to environmental constraints (e.g., elevated CO2, water
stress...) and evolution of populations under these constraints
- - Arabidopsis as a model system to study evolution in metapopulations.
- - The role of mutation in evolution : experimental studies with transposons.

Invited speakers include Jon Agren, Francine Casse-Delbart, Barbara Hohn,
Deborah Charlesworth, Tom Mitchell-Olds, Outi Savolainen, Peter Van Tienderen.

THE WORKSHOP IS LIMITED TO 35 PARTICIPANTS.
Applicants are asked to provide a brief CV and abstract of the talk they
would like to give. Those who are seriously thinking about using Arabidopsis
but have not started yet are welcome to apply and present a poster on their
research project. All correspondence should be made by e-mail to Isabelle
Olivieri  (olivieri at isem.univ-montp2.fr).

Limited support for travel may be available upon request. Please give an
estimate of your travel costs along with your application. Accomodation will
be provided by the ESF Programme on "Plant Adaptation".

DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION IS 31 MARCH 1997.