Field work in Israel

Steven I. Pousty sip94001 at uconnvm.uconn.edu
Sat Jan 4 21:06:36 EST 1997

To all who are interested,

I am looking for a field assistant to work in Israel. I will need the
person from the third week in January  to the end of March. I can
offer housing and board but I can NOT pay for airfare to Israel (It
appears that tickets are approx. $800 through discount brokerages). I
may be able to afford a small salary i.e. $50-60 /week (sorry it is so
small but I am only a PhD student and I only received a small grant).
This is the beginning of the third year of an ongoing study.  I have
hired 3 other people off the internet before, and if and when we get
farther in the seleciton process, I can always put you in contact with
them.

The work will consist of doing large scale dispersal studies on a
terrestrial isopod.  We will also be working with a weather balloon
and either a 35mm camera or video camera to take remote sensed images.
The weather will be cooler in the winter time and there will be some
rainy days (yes, it rains in the desert). We will be putting in long
days and the hiking may be strenuous at times. At least five days of
work will be expected. Depending on religous prefernces I can be
flexible about which days are off (nothing runs on sat. in Israel). I
know this doesn't sound very fun but it would be a good opportunity to
get field experience and some experience with ecological field
studies, using electronic surveying equipment, and perhaps some GIS
work (and you get room and board in Israel with the opportunity to
explore on weekends. We will be relatively close to everything you
might want to see, Israel is a small country).

If you have any questions feel free to contact me through e-mail (it
is the easiest and quickest method to get in touch with me). I can be
somewhat flexible on the start date but the ending date is pretty
firm. I hope to hear from someone soon. (I am a fun guy and can
provide many hours of interesting conversation in the field, so that
should be reason enough to want to help me out, right?) Thanks for
your interest and sorry about the cross-posting.

Sincerely,
Steven Pousty			sip94001 at uconnvm.uconn.edu

Dept. of Ecology and Evol. Biology
Univ. of Conn.