Integrating Light Sensors

Howard Neufeld neufeldhs at appstate.edu
Fri Jan 10 10:23:23 EST 1997

Dear Ecophys People,
        My student and I need to measure integrated daily PPFD at a variety
of sites, and we're looking into the diazo method first published by D.T.C.
Friend, in the 60's.  I haven't kept up on whether there have been
subsequent criticisms of this methodology, and so before investing in this,
was wondering if anyone out there knows of any technical problems with this.
Can we use the paper/dye method to get a relative PPFD values over the
course of a day?  We know its crude, but the level of accuracy shown in
Friend's paper is suitable for us.
        Thanks in advance for any assistance.

        Howie Neufeld

Dr. Howard S. Neufeld