annual cycle in gut structure

Rhonberg rhonberg at aol.com
Mon Jan 20 11:21:44 EST 1997

For a couple of years I tell students  that the inner structure of the gut
(abomasum?) in European roe deer changes during the year. Unfortunately I
forgot the original citation, and begin to wonder about the fact. Is the
size or the number of villi changing in the gut at the beginning of
winter? What actually does trigger these changes? Is the population of
cellulose processing bacteria reduced because of their loss of habitat?
And do similar changes occurr in the ruminant species (I expect so)? Maybe
you can help.

Christine Miller