compensation point and senescence?

Janice M. Glime jmglime at mtu.edu
Thu Nov 13 18:43:59 EST 1997

If a plant is in a situation where CO2 concentration is below the CO2
compensation point, it means the plant will use more CO2 in respiration
that it will fix in photosynthesis.  Yes, in a sense it does starve.  I am
having difficulty interpreting your question about becoming a sink.  If it
has too little CO2, how could it become a sink for CO2?  Help me out with
your thinking here - perhaps I can help a little more.
Janice
 Janice M. Glime, Professor
 Department of Biological Sciences
 Michigan Technological University