Wood C concentration

Jean-Luc Dupouey dupouey at nancy.inra.fr
Tue Mar 14 13:27:29 EST 2000

Dear forumites,

I am working on carbon stocks at the French national scale. My
question is: what wood and leaves C concentration should I use
in order to convert wood biomass to C biomass?

Previous studies used either 45 or 50% carbon in wood biomass. But I
am not satisfied with this. There is a 10% difference in the final
result depending on the value you select! Thus, I try to get more
precise figures for different species or biomass compartments.

A lot of such measurements were done in different laboratories which
were not subsequently used, for example when measuring 13C/12C with
elemental analyzers.

Do you have or do you know any published or unpublished data about
these concentration values ? I would greatly appreciate receiving any
information about it. I am only interested in C concentration in bulk
material, not in cellulose or other components.

If I get significant answers to my question, I will transmit a
synthesis of the results to the forums I asked (DENDRO, ISOTYNE and
ECOPHYSIOLOGY). These data will not be published anywhere else. To
start with, here are some values we got in Nancy, which are neither 45
nor 50%...
Species         Organ  Region  Author      %C    # of      Standard
                                                 samples   deviation
Remarks*

Pinus pinaster  Stem   France  O. Brendel  47.63   28       0.31

Pinus pinaster  Stem   France  O. Brendel  48.28   28       0.33
*same samples but dried just before measurements

Quercus robur   Stem   France  S. Ponton   46.70   10       0.69
Quercus petraea Stem   France  S. Ponton   45.76   10       0.49

Thanks for any new input to this table,

* Jean-Luc Dupouey                     tel.    : 33 3 83 39 40 49      *
* Forest Ecophysiology Unit            fax.    : 33 3 83 39 40 22      *
* INRA                                        or 33 3 83 39 40 69      *
* 54280 Champenoux, France             Internet: dupouey at nancy.inra.fr *