ImageJ/NIH Image and specific root length

John Skillman skillman at csusb.edu
Thu Jan 24 10:11:12 EST 2002

I am interested in doing a root length analysis on harvested root
systems from potted greenhouse grown plants.  In preliminary work I have
been able to get decent digital images of the root systems by floating
them on water in a glass container over a flat bed scanner.  Now I want
to try to do the length analyses.  Has anyone tried doing this using
ImageJ (PC) or NIH Image (Macs), the freeware image analysis program
from NIH?  If so can you let me know how you were able to do it?  Is
there a special plug-in that will give lengths and/or diameters? Suggestions?
John

______________________
John Skillman
Department of Biology