How easily detect the growth rate of a filamentous cyanobacteria?

stjops genachib at
Thu Oct 23 09:20:19 EST 2003

During my Ph.D. I work with the filamentous cyanobactria Scytonema
hofmanni. This species forms globes of filaments. It is importantfor
me to detect the growth rate during the experiment without
In this aggregates it is difficult to count the cells. An other
method, detecting the chlorophyll fluorescence, is difficult, because
I work with different light intensities.

How can I easily detect the growth rate of my "baby"?

Thank you very much!