50 things every biologist should know

Janice M. Glime jmglime at mtu.edu
Fri Apr 8 09:00:07 EST 2005

We have chosen to have a written comprehensive exam, an oral exam one
month later, and a proposal presentation/defense.  And you are absolutely
right - some students do not understand evolution at all.  Our written
comprehensive covers 5 areas, one of which must be general biology at the
level of a freshman text.  One is in the student's specialty.  The other
three are decided by the committee and cover areas related to the
student's specific discipline.  So a plant ecology student might have
ecology, botany, population biology, and a specific exam on bryophyte
ecology (my specialty).

A list of 50 things sounds reasonable, if given broad enough scope.  I
would probably go to the table of contents of several good biology books
to derive the list.

 Janice M. Glime, Professor
 Department of Biological Sciences
 Michigan Technological University