[Ecophysiology] Bat-counter

marc989 at gmx.de marc989 at gmx.de
Wed Sep 6 06:21:05 EST 2006

hello,

I found a message of you in a Internetgroup and I´m very interesting in your methodes to count bats. I build also an bat counter with microcontroller and infra red gate to count the flight direction.
Now, I try to recognize the ultrasonic calls, but it doesnt work good.
I only use the frequency input of the microcontroller to calculate the frequency.

I hope you can help me....
and you are not scared about my english. ;-))

best regards MARC

Hello,
its depend on species and vary on species to species.
The pitch can be determined by spectrometer (Discret Fourier Transform
and DSP  is your friend:) ) or from the literature (for a concrete
species).

Microphone(wide bandwith)-->preamp-->A/D converter-->Puffer1
(RAM)-->Fast Fourier Transform -->Puffer2-->Human interface

I am an electrical engineer and I have developed some instruments
especially for bat research.
If you are interested in , I have developed Infra Red Gate for Bat
moving direction and Bat counter Datalogger  with microclimate
datalogger, and I can customize a solution for your project regarding
ultrasound processing (recording time domain / frequency domain,
spectra, etc.) .

Best Regards,
Attila