Can AUTHORIN be used to submit sequences to EMBL?

frist at frist at
Mon Jan 13 13:21:19 EST 1992

In article <24430466E0A00307 at EMBL-Heidelberg.DE> David.Hazledine at EMBL-HEIDELBERG.DE (David Hazledine) writes:
>> Recognizing that EMBL can't make direct use of AUTHORIN's transaction-format
>> files, it seems to me that submission of AUTHORIN-generated EMBL entries should
>> still be preferable to having to fill out the electronic data submission
>> form, which is more prone to errors than use of AUTHORIN.
>I don't know where you got your information from, Brian, but
Specifically, I am referring to the document DATASUB.TXT, the EMBL data
submission form available by anonymous FTP at listserv at
Neither this form nor EMBL.HELP mention anything about using AUTHORIN as an
alternative to filling in the electronic form. Perhaps a note to that
effect should be added to one or both of these documents.
> EMBL *can* make use
>of the output files generated by Authorin, and we welcome Authorin submissions.
>There is absolutely no problem.  Authorin was developed by GenBank with the full
>support of EMBL and DDBJ, for exactly the reasons you state above, and we are
>delighted that the software has proven to be as popular as it has.
Just to clarify things, do you mean that EMBL can now make use of the
AUTHORIN transaction-format files (.ain), or that EMBL prefers
AUTHORIN-generated EMBL flat-file entries (.mbl)?

>David Hazledine
>Database Administrator
>EMBL Data Library.

Brian Fristensky                | I'm carrying the weight of all the useless
Department of Plant Science     | junk a modern man accumulates
University of Manitoba          |
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    | I'm a statistic in a system
frist at          | that a civil servant dominates
Office phone:   204-474-6085    |
FAX:            204-275-5128    | Billy Joel - Running on Ice