Software to Parse Feature Table

Reinhard Doelz doelz at
Tue Sep 21 23:53:44 EST 1993

In article <16C50DE8D.A428ENDE at HASARA11.SARA.NL>, A428ENDE at HASARA11.SARA.NL writes:
|> In article <CDEz1A.7s3 at>
|> wfischer at (Will Fischer) writes:
|> >I need to extract given pieces of sequence from a set of EMBL/GenBank
|> >flat file entries (as retrieved from NCBI's email server), using ranges
|> >defined in the features table.  For example, I'd like to be able to
|> >extract, from a set of entries, the DNA sequence for each exon, or
|> >again for every complete CDS feature (all exons assembled).
|> >

> A few months ago I wanted all the CDS from Chlamydomonas sequences. Because I d
|> idn'T konow of any software I wrote a TurboPascal routine to do it. However the
|> re are a lot of strange ways in the feature table to give the CDS (I found at l
|> east five different ways!). Therefor the program isn't straight forward and is
|> sometimes not very elegant. I think you can understand how it is working, so I
|> can mail it if you want. It is a unit for TurboPascal 5.0 or greater and works
|> on a DOS machine.

The SRS program from Thure Etzold runs on VMS and a zoo of UNIXes ; it does what you want after GCG reformatting.

|    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            | RFC     doelz at         |
|      Biocomputing                | DECNET  20579::48130::doelz         |
|Biozentrum der Universitaet       | X25     022846211142036::doelz      |
|   Klingelbergstrasse 70          | FAX     x41 61 261- 6760 or 267- 2078
|     CH 4056 Basel                | TEL     x41 61 267- 2076 or 2247    |
+------------- is the SWISS EMBnet node ----------------+
                     ftp mirror at