total number of bases?

Laurent Duret duret at
Wed May 4 01:07:23 EST 1994

In article ra0 at, svuilleu at writes:
> Hi all,
> I can't seem to find a reliable current estimate of the total
> number of bases in all the different sequences stored in
> readily accessible databases (genbank, embl...). Also,
> from the last genembl release, I gather there are now about
> 180'000 gene sequences available...Is that it?
> Guesses, insights and pointers?
> Thank you for your time
> Stéphane Vuilleumier
> Mikrobiologisches Institut
> ETH Zürich
> Switzerland                            svuilleu at

The size of current releases of GenBank and EMBL is:

GenBank Release 82 (15 April 1994): 180,589,455 bases; 169,896 sequences;

EMBL Library Release 38  (March 1994): 179,346,566 bases; 171,787 sequences;

The NCBI maintains a non-redundant database daily updated
  nr    Non-redundant PDB+GBUpdate+GenBank+EmblUpdate+EMBL:

5:07 AM EDT May 3 1994: 184,980,203 bases; 173,749 sequences;

For more information, you can subscribe to the NCBI newsletter:
 For a free subscription to "NCBI News", the NCBI newsletter, send a request
 along with your name and postal mailing address to:  info at

Laurent Duret

Laboratoire de Biometrie, Genetique et Biologie des Populations
Bat 741 - URA CNRS 243 Universite Claude Bernard - Lyon I
43, Bd du 11 Novembre 1918
69622 Villeurbanne cedex FRANCE

Tel: 	+33
Fax:	+33