same sequence is different in EMBL and GENBANK

Tom Schneider toms at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Wed May 4 17:01:43 EST 1994

In article <2q8h6o$av8 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> Massimo Delledonne
<DELLE%IPCUCSC.earn at earn-relay.ac.uk> writes:

| The GENEBANK sequence was uptade in 1986
| The EMBL sequence was uptade in 1990
| The GENBANK sequence is the correct one
|
| Who made the mistake ? The autors who submitted the correct version to Genbank
| and not to EMBL (but in this case why the EMBL sequence was updated in 1990)
| or: GENBANK submitted to EMBL an incorrect update ...
| or: EMBL made a mistake
|
| In any case I think it is really bad to have to check both the databases to be
| sure the sequence you are looking for is correct .... And .. how many sequences
| in both the databases have the same problem?
|
| Massimo Delledonne

Although horrifying, this is a perfect example of one of the reasons that
"federations" of databases are likely to fail horribly.  EMBL and GENBANK are
supposed to work closely together!  What will happen when we have 50 sequence
databases and they DON'T even try to work together?  People will be checking
one database against the other and finding errors.  If a database gets a
reputation for handling data poorly, won't people simply stop using it?

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201