same sequence is different in EMBL and GENBANK

Peter Stoehr stoehr at embl-heidelberg.de
Fri May 6 11:27:59 EST 1994

In article <2q8h6o$av8 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, Massimo Delledonne
<DELLE%IPCUCSC.earn at earn-relay.ac.uk> writes:

> Who made the mistake ? The autors who submitted the correct version to Genbank
> and not to EMBL (but in this case why the EMBL sequence was updated in 1990)
> or: GENBANK submitted to EMBL an incorrect update ...
> or: EMBL made a mistake
>
> In any case I think it is really bad to have to check both the databases to be
> sure the sequence you are looking for is correct .... And .. how many sequences
> in both the databases have the same problem?
>
> Massimo Delledonne

The entry concerned K01967 has been updated today in the EMBL database using
the current version from GenBank (the originator). Clearly we missed
the critical update which occurred back in 1986 and apologise sincerely that
this has caused you such problems.

Regards,
Peter Stoehr
EMBL Data Library

ps I am not yet sure what the update was to the EMBL entry in 1990, but
   it wasn't this important one.