same sequence is different in EMBL and GENBANK

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Thu May 5 01:29:21 EST 1994

Tom Schneider (toms at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov) wrote:
: In article <2q8h6o$av8 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> Massimo Delledonne
: <DELLE%IPCUCSC.earn at earn-relay.ac.uk> writes:
: | Who made the mistake ? The autors who submitted the correct version to Genbank
: Although horrifying, this is a perfect example of one of the reasons that
: "federations" of databases are likely to fail horribly.  EMBL and GENBANK are
: supposed to work closely together!  What will happen when we have 50 sequence
: databases and they DON'T even try to work together?  People will be checking
: one database against the other and finding errors.  If a database gets a
: reputation for handling data poorly, won't people simply stop using it?

I strongly argue against this. We have now PIR versus Swissprot,
Los Alamos/NCBI/EMBL, not to mention pacific rim originating sources ...
We MUST make the databases work together. We'll never cope with the
flood otherwise. I am scared to read that you seem to suggest doing
once again a new database or even ?stop? using a database because it were
poor. Can we afford, fund, pay for this?

Regards
Reinhard

PS: We have most of the databases available worldwide and crosscheck
them, e.g. genbank vs EMBL, via standard programs like 'GCG' or 'nrdb'
from GCG Inc, and NCBI, resp. Counting all, we get about 20 GByte needed
for this effort. Justification being, we are an EMBnet node and try
to deliver what people need. Your suggestion would be to shift all that
to the users? END users?  It might be useful to bring up oddities as
above to these newsgroups but the direct partner to report database
problems should be the database vendors. I found both GENBANK and EMBL
staff very helpful (special Thanks to Peter Stoehr). Ther really appreciate
detailed reports.