searches and sequence comparisons - how to d

Laurent Duret duret at
Thu Feb 2 01:42:55 EST 1995

In article a100000 at wagsun, marchaa at (A.Marchant) writes:
> Could someone please tell me how to go about finding and comparing the
> sequences of homologous genes from diferent organisms, in the sequence
> databases?
> What I would like to do is to find published sequences of gene X from
> different organisms, line them up, and identify conserved regions.
> Specifically, I am interested in the internal transcribed spacer region of
> ribosomal DNA - a lot of work has been done on this region, from lots of
> different organisms, so perhaps there is a recent published article which
> compares the sequences found from very different taxa.  If anyone
> knows of such (or, better still, has written it!), could they tell me
> about it, please?

You should have a look at MUST [1], a computer package that has been developed to
handle sequence alignments and phylogenetic trees. This tool is provided with
a collection of aligned rRNA sequences.

Hope this helps,

Laurent Duret			    duret at
Tel: 	+33		    Fax:	+33
Laboratoire de Biometrie, Genetique et Biologie des Populations
Bat 741 - URA CNRS 243 Universite Claude Bernard - Lyon I
43, Bd du 11 Novembre 1918
69622 Villeurbanne cedex FRANCE

[1] Philippe H. (1993) Nucl. Acids Res. 21:5264-72

H. Philippe can be contacted at: adoutte at