CAN TWO MEN (or women) HAVE KIDS???

saavedra at saavedra at
Mon Nov 18 19:22:16 EST 1996

Dear Bugra,

There have been attempts to fuse sea urchin eggs. References that I know are

Bennet and Mazia. 1981. Interspecific fusion of sea urchin eggs. Surface events
and cytoplasmic mixing. J.exp.Res. 131: 197-207

Bennet and Mazia. 1981. Fusion of fertilized and unfertilized sea urchin eggs.
Maintenance of cell surface integrity. J.exp.Res. 134: 494-498.

In bivalves, Guo et al. (J. Shellfish Res. 13: 193-198, 1994) have tried to
induce tetraploidy by fusing zygotes, sperm (to use in fertilization of normal
eggs) and blastomeres. I would be nice to try fusion of eggs. The first problem
I see is wether cell fusion alone would activate the development.

Carlos Saavedra

Dept. of Biology
University of Crete
P.O.Box 1470