EMBL Release 51 available

Peter Stoehr stoehr at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jun 20 12:47:23 EST 1997

Release 51 (June 1997) of the EMBL Nucleotide Sequence Database is now
available on the EBI anonymous FTP server:

       ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/databases/embl/release

For those who mirror our cumulative update file, cumulative.dat.Z, please note
that this file will be changed on the evening of Tuesday June 24 to contain only
post-release 51 data.

Release 51 is also available on our Netserv, FASTA and SRS servers.
Full release notes, including announcements of several forthcoming changes,
can be read at:

       ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/databases/embl/release/relnotes.doc

Details of release 51 include:

The   release  contains  1,432,941  sequence  entries  comprising 931,351,601
nucleotides.  This represents an increase of about 18% over  Release 50.

EST Database Files

In order to keep the size  of  the  data  files  within  reasonable  limits  for
handling  purposes,  we have split the EST division into several files.  At this
release we have created  two  extra  files  of  EST  data  named  EST10.DAT  and
EST11.DAT.

Cross-references To MENDEL Database Added

At this release we have added cross-references in the form of DR  lines  to  the
MENDEL database of plant gene nomenclature.  The Mendel database project aims to
develop a common nomenclature for sequenced genes, based on gene  families,  for
all  photosynthetic  organisms,  the  organelle  genomes  of  both photsynthetic
organisms (fungi, algae, and protozoa) and plant viruses.  It is run  under  the
auspices of the International Society for Plant Molecular Biology (ISPMB) by the
Commission for Plant Gene Nomenclature (CPGN) database group at the  John  Innes
Centre, Norwich, UK.  eg:

DR   MENDEL; 202; ZEAma;Lhc0;1.

   where 202 is the Mendel number, ZEAma;Lhc0;1 beingh the gene symbol.

Peter Stoehr
EMBL-EBI