removing trailing A's

francis at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV francis at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV
Thu Oct 8 21:00:09 EST 1998

> From: t.j.keen at (T. Jeffrey  Keen)
> Subject: removing trailing A's
> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 00:56:27 +0100 (BST)

> Wouldn't it generally be an improvement to the nucleotide databases, if
> the poly-A tails which appear on many cDNA entries were removed?
> Just a thought
> Jeffrey Keen

we actually used to do this in GenBank (aka DDBJ/EMBL/GenBank), but we
don't anymore as no benefit is really derived from this, and
information is actually lost.

Having a poly_A tail is information in clearly saying (in the sequence
as information) "the message ends here".  This is used in a variety of
places such as Unigene, and is useful for users to include in their

The question would be: why do you think it would be an improvement?

| B.F. Francis Ouellette
| francis at

New Address: francis at