Formatting EBML full release for blast

Bent Nagstrup Terp terp at kisac.cgr.ki.se
Tue Aug 28 10:52:34 EST 2001

rls at ebi.ac.uk (Rodrigo Lopez) wrote in message news:<91037A5F4rlsebiacuk at newscache.ebi.ac.uk>...
> There are quite a number of different ways of achieving this but it all

Yeah, I've noticed that :-)

Basically, I want to create and update a local database for NCBI's
blast-suite - easier said than done....

> Information regarding how to use NCBI's formatdb to create multivolume

OK, I think I'm with you so far. I can convert embl's .dat's to fasta
(using BioPerl - please feel free to suggest a better way of doing
it....), run formatdb to get blastable files and build .nal's to tie
the volumes togther.

Next problem: how do I apply the updates? I see 2 types of updates:
cumulative updates (i.e. cum_htg1.dat.gz) that only contains updates
for some of the .dat's, and daily updates (i.e. r67u069.dat.gz). These
I can also convert into fasta format, but how do I distribute the
updated records across the correct blast db's?

> Hope this helps,

It did, thanks! But I'm not through the long, dark tunnel, yet :-)

regards,
	Bent