SYG motif in other proteins

William J. Buikema wjb1 at ellis.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 1 10:09:09 EST 1995

In article <3qkcda$4p6 at netnews.upenn.edu>,
Edward Zartler <zartler at a.chem.upenn.edu> wrote:
>	Helloooooooooo.
>
>	My question is simple, we came upon this protein in looking at other
>stuff, and we had an idea can any body help me.
>
>	The chromphore is formed by the SYG at 64-66 (?).  How often does this
>sequence occur in other proteins???  Is the presence of this sequence enough
>to generate the chromphore and if it isn't how much of the surrounding protein
>do you need.
>
>	I say all, Ponzy (my boss) says find out...
>
>	Any help is appreciated.
>
>	Teddy

I believe the evidence for GFP itself in E. coli is that almost all of
the sequence is necessary for fluorescence.  Only a few amino acids can
be deleted from either end without losing activity.  Also Roger Tsien's
group has shown an effect of a mutation 100 amino acids away from the
active site.

Bill

--
William J. Buikema        Phone: (312)702-1081   e-mail: hetman at uchicago.edu
Dept. Mol. Genet. & Cell Biol.                   /  / --- --- /|/|  /|  /| /