Secreted GFP?

Mike Amstutz milkman at pop.service.ohio-state.edu
Tue Oct 1 19:37:32 EST 1996

In article <3250786B.664A at aecom.yu.edu> yli at aecom.yu.edu (Yongan Li) writes:

>Does anyone have any information about GFP expressed as a secreted form
>in mammalian cells ?

I have constructed two secreted versions of GFP.  The first contains the hGH
secretion signal fused to hGH and the second is a hGH-GFP chimera.
Interestingly enough when I assayed (ELISA) for secretion from transfected
Cos-1 cells, the native GFP (pEGFP-N1) from Clontech (with no obvious
secretion signal)had more "secreted" GFP than either the secretion signal or
chimeric clones.  I suspect a significant portion of the "secreted" GFP from
the native clone is from lysed cells, but I have no evidence for this.

Secondly,  today I confirmed the chimera was valid as I can detect it with
both hGH and GFP antibodies in our ELISA systems.
Anyone else???

Mike Amstutz
amstutz.1 at osu.edu