GFP in rec. plant virus

Dr. George McNamara george_m at image1.com
Mon Apr 14 09:09:03 EST 1997

Dear Olivier,

  Your best options are:

  EGFP from Clontech, max fluorescence at about 405 nm, still bright at 490
nm.

or

  mGFP/GFP5 from Haseloff. See:   K.R. Siemering, R. Golbik, R. Sever, J.
Haseloff (1996) Mutations that suppress the thermostability of green
fluorescent protein. Current Biology 6(12):1653-1663. (see article for
spectra).

Good luck!

geo

>Hi all!
>
>We are intending to create a recombinant plant virus containing a reporter
>gene in order to locate the progress of infection. Colleagues of us will
>soon buy a fluorescence microscope that we'll be allowed to use, however
>we'll more probably routinely use a hand-held UV lamp.
>
>Could anyone please help us in the choice of the optimal GFP version to use
>(wt, EGFP, S35T, uv, other...).
>
>Thanks for your help.
>Olivier Le Gall
>  Pathologie Vegetale, INRA Bordeaux, BP 81        :
>    33883 Villenave d'Ornon Cedex, FRANCE         -,o
>Tel +33(0)556 843 205   Fax +33(0)556 843 222    (   )
>          legall at bordeaux.inra.fr            /----"-"---

George McNamara, Ph.D.
Applications Scientist
Universal Imaging Corporation