GFP fusion protein in CHO

Beat Ludin ludin at FMI.CH
Wed Apr 30 09:57:37 EST 1997

Beatrice Marqueze wrote:

>I have constructed a fusion protein with GPF using Clontech vector
>pEGFP-N1. My goal is to study in CHO cells the distribution of the fusion
>protein in the different sub-cellular compartments.
>
>Does anybody know where GFP alone is distibuted when transfected in CHO, in
>the cytoplasm, in the nucleus ?

Yes, i.e. both in the cytoplasm and in the nucleus with a slight tendency
to accumulate into the nucleus.

> Could the  fusion protein be wrongly
>localized in the GFP compartments?

We have made a number of GFP fusion proteins so far, and in none of the
cases we have observed a mislocalisation. I haven't heard of something
like that happening either. But it's certainly conceivable. For example,
a protein which normally enters the nucleus could become to big to do so
because of the increased size of the fusion protein. Or a cytoskeletal
protein may show even cytoplasmic distribution because the fusion with
GFP has abolished its binding ability. But all the current evidence I
know of points against an active GFP-mediated relocalisation. So my
advice is: go ahead.

Beat