DNA stain for living plant cells

Kwee Hong Sien hongsien at ima.org.sg
Thu Oct 16 03:34:18 EST 1997

Dear all,

Can someone give me a method on how to stain DNA in LIVING plant cells?
I would like to check in which cell cycle stage my BY-2 tobacco
suspension cells are. I have used DAPI and Ethidium bromide (excitated
in UV and FITC respectively) but they only enter dead cells. I presume
the dyes can't enter the cells due to the low permeability of the cell
walls? I also tried DAPI and EtBr in combination with PEG, but no
success. Haven't tried detergents though. Off course I can also try usig
BY-2 protoplasts, but if possible I would like to see normal plant
cells.

Thanks in advance!

Hong Sien Kwee
Plant Genetics Laboratory