GFP localization ?

Paul Kitts kitts at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV
Fri Dec 4 18:55:36 EST 1998

Unfused GFP is small enough to diffuse in and        |
out through the nuclear pores.                       V
Unfused GFP can appear to be localized to the        _
nucleus simply because you are looking at the     __/0\__
fluorescence from a greater depth of cell.       ---------
Some people have reported that the apparent distribution of unfused GFP varies
with cell type (see previous postings to this group This may reflect differences
in the cell morpology.

"  Paul Kitts, Ph.D.               NCBI/NLM/NIH                "
"  Email: kitts at   Bldg 38A, 8N803             "
"  Phone: 301 435-6091             8600 Rockville Pike         "
"  Fax:   301 480-9241             Bethesda, MD 20894, U.S.A.  "

To: fluorpro at
From: Wolfgang.Schechinger at ("Wolfgang Schechinger")
Subject: GFP localization ?
Date: 26 Nov 1998 22:13:48 -0800

Hi all,

When transfecting 293HEK and NIH 3T3 MF-cells with GFP (humanized
S65T in pCDNA3) I noticed the brightest fluorescence in the nucleus,
while a (certain) fusion protein doesn't. Is there a reason for this?
Actually, I had expected that there was no fluorescence in the
nucleus since there's no nuclear import sequence. Am I wrong? Is
there resonance energy transfer from DNA to GFP?
The phenomenon occurs when using a Hg lamp with filters for FITC as
well as a 488nm argon laser and a confocal microscope.

Any ideas?

usual disclaimers apply * This message is RNAse free - please don't touch!
Wolfgang Schechinger
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wgschech at * wwWait: