triple labeling

ronlab ronlab at uic.edu
Wed Jan 14 11:47:33 EST 1998

Hi!
We routinely do EGFP +PI double staining on various Becton -Dickinson
and Coulter machines. Compensation is required, but is never a problem.
We also did EGFP-PE- PI on FACSotr (B.-D.), but it took a rather
complicated and problematic compensation. However, we achieved very good
results using EBFP (UV-excitable, blue)+EGFP (488 excitation, green) +
PI (488 exited, red).
If you have an access to a UV-equipped machine, I would suggest you to
use EBFP instead of EGFP. It should not interfere with your other
detectors.
If you don’t - keep working on compensation.
It may be helpful to have a construct that expresses EGFP at a lower
level, or expresses other, less bright, red-shifted GFPs. I have quite a
few of such constructs in my collection (mostly - retroviral vectors).
Finally, there are fluorescent dyes that emit far red light, that should
distinguish them such common red-light emitters (e.g. PI). I believe,
secondary Abs labeled with these compounds are already commercially
available. I would anticipate no cross talk between these dyes and EGFP,
although you may have to purchase special filter sets for your machine.

Good luck!

Eugene Kandel.
U09577 at uic.edu