Human and electronic dynamic ranges for protein spot intensities

Douglas Kell dbk at
Mon Aug 30 04:36:22 EST 1999

1. Modern CCD cameras used in gel readers have a 16-bit dynamic range (or at
least save images as 16-bit tiff files)..
2. The human eye has a dynamic range for grey scale in a given pixel of not
more than 7 bits.
3. Conclusion: there is a lot more info in a gel than the eye can see, but
the processing we'd do on a computer etc to improve the image content or
dynamic range of an analysis does not  show up in a way that would a priori
persuade someone looking at a picture.

How do people deal with this? Can replies be cc'd to my mailbox as well as
this group?

Many thanks,
(Prof.) Douglas Kell
Inst. Biol. Sci., Cledwyhn Bldg,