Thermostable GFP for anaerobes

Paul Kitts kitts at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV
Fri Oct 15 10:20:24 EST 1999

Hi Sunil,

Formation of the GFP chromophore requires oxygen and so GFP will not fluoresce
in anaerobes.

"  Paul Kitts, Ph.D.                                           "
"  National Center for Biotechnology Information               "
"  NIH/NLM                                                     "
"  Bldg. 38A, Rm. 8N803         Email: kitts at  "
"  8600 Rockville Pike          Phone: 301 435-6091            "
"  Bethesda, MD 20894, U.S.A.   Fax:   301 480-9241            "

To: fluorpro at
From: sgdksdtsd at (sunil desai)
Subject: Thermostable GFP for anaerobes
Date: 14 Oct 1999 09:56:40 -0700

I am looking for a suitable reporter gene system(other
than lacZ and CAT) that can work in gram-positive,
anaerobic bacteria in the temperature range of 30 to
65 degrees celsius. I have read variant GFPs can be
used but no information is available on the exact
vector names, company that sells the product etc.
Greatly appreciate if anyone can provide more

Thanks, Sunil