DsRed fusion-proteins

Holger Fehr fehr at biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de
Sun Jun 18 05:47:32 EST 2000

A question to all of you using DsRed.

I recently measured the excitation-/emmision spectra if a
DsRed-fusionprotein expressed in HEK293T cells. I found a very narrow
excitation spectrum with a peak at 572 nm, ranging from app. 560 to 590 nm,
instead if the broad excitationspectrum described by Clontech (max.: 558
nm). The emmisionspectrum of the fusion protein had a very broad peak (from
app. 595 to 615 nm) with 50% max. values at 585/635 nm, significantly
different to the one published (max.: 583 nm).

a) has anyone seen similar spectra for their fusionproteins ?

                   is this a general phenomenon ?

b) if so, this might be a reason why some dsRed-constructs can not be
excitated by a standard argon laser (488/514 nm) as a light source, as some
people have complained in here.

Waiting for your comments,

(with burning patience),

  Holger Fehr