DOS question

Michal Opas m.opas at
Sun May 26 09:20:35 EST 2002

Dear All,

While this is not exactly related to interests of all of us it might be of
interest to some of us.

I am one of a dying breed of stubborn old timers who find some old
DOS-based programs still superior in some applications.
Example: one can write a small batch file using and its various
parameters to transfer data between drives or computers: this encompasses
files and directories, specific files from subdirectories, update or copy
or move all delete or not , dated or not, etc., etc.  Just start the batch
file and off it goes! Try to do it using "briefcase"...  Or laplink or
There are other little DOS programs that I find useful.

The question is:
Windows 2000 seems to be an OS that overtakes the networking environment
(at least here at UofT).  I found Win 2000 MS-DOS windows far more
capricious that those of Win 98.
Is this true or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you very much in advance.

      Dr. Michal Opas
      Cell Biology
      University of Toronto