independent assortment?

Stephen Modena nmodena at
Mon Feb 3 07:29:48 EST 1992

In article <92033.201318U50701 at> U50701 at (Yakof) writes:
>Hello there. I am taking introductory genetics this semester and one of the hom
>eworks asks to explain how 15:1 phenotypic ratio can be obtained from selfing
> F2; it is also specified that P1 were both pure lines. They are talking of mon
>ohybrid cross, by the way,  but I do not see any possible way of getting 15:1 p
>henotypic ratio.
>Is anybody there willing to help out?
>Thanks a lot.

Oooops!  I got carried away with my cleverness:

AABB x aabb => AaBb (X) => 15/16 A_B_ , 1/16 aabb

AAbb x aaBB => AaBb (X) => 15/16 A_B_, 1/16 aabb

IF these loci are independantly assorting and the game is dominant
epitasis.  (It's early, folks, very early in the day.)

Anyway, I'm not sure the problem is well stated, or at least completely
stated.  Can't think of a way to get 15:1 without at least two loci

Have a nice day, Yakof.  :^)
|     At e-mail:  nmodena at                           |