Error analysis

Toby Bradshaw toby at
Thu Nov 19 17:07:28 EST 1992

In article <1992Nov19.194342.1780 at> ifenton at (I. Fenton) writes:
>In article <1992Nov19.162817.14480 at> toby at (Toby Bradshaw) writes:
>>map distance, and cause problems ordering the markers.  MAPMAKER
>>3.0 should be available soon, and now will run on 32-bit PCs with
>>math coprocessors.
>what is soon ?

How high is up :)  Steve Lincoln was passing out request forms
for MAPMAKER 3.0 at the recent Plant Genome meeting.  Supposedly,
it will also be available from the Whitehead by anonymous ftp
( if I remember right).

>also what does 32-bit pcs mean ?  is that any intel386
>or better machine ?

Real 386 + coprocessor (as opposed to 386SX) and 486.

>i would be dead interested in running this package
>on a pc, even if it requires a high-end pc.  do you know what are the
>memory etc requirements for this.

According to Steve, MAPMAKER on a 486/4Mb is about half the speed
of a SPARCII, which is not bad considering the price differential.

Toby Bradshaw
Department of Biochemistry and College of Forest Resources
University of Washington, Seattle
toby at